Since 2000 we’ve been operating a year-round clinic in the Toledo District of southern Belize and all of our services and medications are free for patients. We collaborate with community leaders and organizations, Belizean government ministries, local service organizations, and NGOs. The Toledo District is a richly diverse region that is home to many demographic groups, including Mayan, Garifuna, Mestizo, East Indian, and other cultural groups. Limited resources, differing cultural practices and language barriers pose unique challenges to effective and culturally competent collaboration and patient care.
Services we provide:
Home Health Care
- Hillside provides the only home health care service in the Punta Gorda, and villages throughout Toledo district for home-bound patients who need medical, nursing, rehabilitation, and/or hospice services.
- First Palliative Care and Hospice Program in the Toledo district in order to better care for our patients at the end of their life.
- Hillside offers a variety of Public Health education programs to children and adults throughout the Toledo District of southern Belize.
- Using the Community-Based Rehabilitation model, Hillside’s rehab services focus on therapeutic intervention and outreach in communities and schools.
- Community outreach to decrease stigma surrounding the disabled population
- Treatment for noncommunicable diseases such as diabetes and hypertension
- childhood diseases
- women’s health
- preventative health care services
- minor procedures
Mobile Medical Clinics
- Mobile clinics sent to rural villages in Toledo district complete with portable medical supplies and a portable pharmacy.
Community matters a lot to us. We are involved in a slew of community outreach activities including:
- Monthly Health Fairs in the town park
- Health education in area schools
- Fluoride treatments and dental health education
- Disability Awareness Programs in all Toledo district primary schools
- Participation in Ministry of Health sponsored health fairs, such as World Mental Health Day, World TB Day, and Caribbean Wellness Day
- Employee health screenings at area businesses
- Participation in Career Fairs at local secondary schools
- Teacher education sessions
- Participation in the training of Community Health Workers
- …and so much more!